Monday, August 31, 2015

8 years

8 Years: 

I never imagined when we started our Honduran adventure 8 years ago, that I would still be calling Honduras home, have 3 children born in Honduras with dual-citizenship, or say that I'm still loving living here and feel called to be here. I never thought my home would be at the base of a mountain, or that when I think of my calling to Honduras my eyes would still, to this day, tear up. These 8 years have shaped us, changed us, and no matter how much longer I'm here, I know i"ll never be the same. I'm forever changed.

8 things I've learned: 

1. Ants are scarier than spiders 
            (seriously - they bite more!) Bee's a close second.

2. I like the country more than the city. 
            Too much traffic and noise! Although we started out in the city 8 years ago, we now really love how God has placed us at the foot of the mountain in our small agricultural community. I chose this over a movie theatre.

3. Every drop counts
           I respect water. The need for water is all-consuming. If you don't have it, it's all you can think about.  Regardless that our house is on a well, I know my neighbors struggle to haul water or only receive a small daily portion. I will not waste water.

4. People matter.
           It pays to chose relational living. People are what matter to God. I must continously fight my nature of 'doing' to put people first.

5. I don't need as much stuff as I think I do
          The less stuff I have, the less time I have to spend managing it and the less noise it creates in my life.

6. I have a few homes and I no longer 'fit' in any of them. 
        Some days this is hard, but I know that this world is not my final destination.

7. Complete dependance on God is when He shows up the best
          Over and over again, God shows up and shows off by how much He loves to take care of His children when they are LOOKING to Him and He is their only option.

8. There are a lot of wonderful people out there!
          It's incredibly the amount of people we've met in the last 8 years (both Hondurans and North Americans) that have a similar heart beat of loving others with a Kingdom mindset.



No comments: