Saturday, July 25, 2020

Grief and learning go together...



5 days ago we were supposed to have traveled - after a full summer of great projects, of lots of volunteers, and running 24/7.  5 days ago we were supposed to have arrived in the U.S. to attend a family reunion on one side, and then a week vacation with other side. We were to have packed for a 3 month sabbatical  - with plans of playing, teaching our kids U.S. culture, visit some National Parks, resting, and seeing Sigel before he heads to Germany for 3 years. Covid's changed all that.

We are not the only ones with losses - everyone has suffered losses from this unexpected pandemic. We have been grieving our losses, while at the same time, pushing through and choosing to be ok (what's the option?). We were all disappointed when we decided we were cancelling the trip, and again when our travel day came and went.

There's an odd place that missionaries find themselves - stuck between knowing that 'we have it really rough' compared to life in the US and also knowing that 'we have it really great' compared to our neighbors here in Honduras. On one side I can completely justify feeling sorry for myself, and yet when I stop and truly choose to see truth - I have it great. I have a safe home, income, ((thanks supporters for your faithfulness!)), ability to buy food and medicine, and a healthy family. (oh and I'm grateful for our trampoline and backyard too :) .    My neighbors, don't have those pleasures of basic needs met.     So instead of just grief, I'm choose thankfulness. Thankful to be in a position to bless.

As we continue to be under strict restrictions of quarantine (day 140?), most day I'm finding a peace to be ok. And sometimes I"m not ok. But I'm choosing to ride the waves of emotions while clinging to God as my rock - where all of my hope comes from.




Things I’ve learned so far during this season:

1.     It IS possible to grocery shop only once every 14 days for a family of 5!

2.     I’ve learned how to buy local fresh produce & meat from small businesses! (and learned that veggies are sold by the pound instead of the unit - so the first order I had massive amounts lol!)

3.     Even if life slows down, you still must be intentional to use your time well and invest into your kids, your spouse, and yourself.

4.      My kids memorize Scripture a lot faster than I do.

5.     Even small changes of scenery are necessary for sanity. A short walk is a great refresher.

6.     Fertilizers, beans, and purchasing food in bulk. New learning and skill required as we serve our community in new ways. 

7.     Resting in the Lord during the unknown requires intentional letting go of worry - over and over and over again. 

8.   When under lock down, the simplest things become more complicated and you must allow time and patience.  (example: standing in line to enter the grocery store can take up to 2 hours). 

9.  Online libraries rock! We finally got logged into the library system in the US and the girls and I are all loving it!  





One quarantine family project is that we built a chicken coop and now have around 10 chickens. The kids all love to hold the baby chicks. 


 2 of our chickens arrived a a gift from someone over a mile away - as a thank you for all the food EA has been giving out, a young boy delivered these two chickens at 6:30am one morning - they were tied up in a black bag. 



Check out our latest EA video that explains how we're helping during a crisis: How it's done: Relief


1 comment:

Penny lambert said...

Oh my, I've been here in the US feeling sorry for myself because I cant come help you all, we are praying Faith like a mustard seed that we can come in November. You are all in our thoughts and prayers everyday sweet families of EA.