Sunday, April 17, 2016

As if my life depended on it

Yesterday we were in Tegucigalpa – the busy capital city where the chaos and crazy driving doesn’t cease. On one such road, a teen dashed in front of our car and weaved/sprinted his way through 6 lanes of moving traffic to the buses that were paused for pick up on the other side. Why did the teen cross the road? Because his life depended on it – he had a bag of waters in his had to sell to those on the bus – from each sale he should make about  $.025 – THAT’S 2 PENNYS PEOPLE! (You know, those copper things that you don’t pick up on the sidewalk because they’re not worth anything anymore?)

Watching this, I commented to Tristan, ‘wow, he’s working as if his life depended on it’. Obviously that teen had to sell waters or he wouldn’t survive – he wasn’t selling waters to make $ to go to the movies, the desperation was pure necessity for basic survival of food. The pure force and effort he made for the hope of possibly selling one bag of water to earn 2 pennies (which even in Honduras, you need much more than that to buy your daily bread).

My next thought was from the Holy Spirit,  “What would it be like if I lived for Jesus as if my life depended on?” ouch. I know that I love Jesus, that my intention each day is to live for him, but am I as aware of my need for grace that I’m seeking Jesus daily as if my life depended on it? Am I that in love with Jesus that I’m living for him with the same extreme energy that the teen was attempting to make a living by? Because the truth is, my life does depend on it.

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17

And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. Matthew 22:37



No comments: