Thursday, December 31, 2015

Things that have impacted me in 2015 Part 2


#2: Carol

Back story: Summer 2014 a desperate young couple came to ask for help – their 6 month old baby, Carol, had a massive seizure, and they thought she died in route to the hospital – she made it, and throughout the next 2 months those parents held vigil in the capital hospital – sleeping in the parking lot because they weren’t allowed to sleep inside the NICU. I received many desperate calls in the middle of the night by a crying mom who needed encouragement. It really tore me up. In the end, she was released from the hospital with severe brain damage and massive handicaps. Upon release, the parents were exhausted, Carol cried her every waking moment, and there was nothing to be done for her. I wasn’t sure how they were going to emotionally make it through.

Fast forward to September 2015 – we spent a wonderful morning at a school event sitting near each other and reconnecting. Carol is still severely handicapped – however the parents are AMAZING. Their love and patience for her is intense and constant. I have never seen such patience (oh – did I mention that mom was 15 years old in 2014 and the dad was 17?).

October brought Carol to our clinic with very bad pneumonia and she came daily for treatment. One day I was called to come see them. (the clinic is not my normal hang out due to my extreme aversion to blood and pain) They were preparing to rush her to the hospital while giving her oxygen as it was beyond our scope of care in our clinic. Unfortunately at the local hospital they were treated with a band-aid and dismissed – not the appropriate care this sweetheart needed. I see another reason Clinica El Ayudante is needed – we will love on and treat special needs babies as important as any other baby. No discrimination here. Don’t worry Carol, we’ve got your back and will do whatever we can for you.

December 2015: one of my favorite days – the girls and I went to visit them and inform them that we can help them build a house starting in March 2016 for their growing family (mom is expecting her next baby any day). Their joy was complete as the dad showed me where he was already preparing the ground (near his Mom’s house where they now live).  The whole time we talked they were holding Carol and cooing and making her laugh. They have figured out unconditional love. They inspire me to be a better mom.

Marlon, Lily, and Carol standing where their
future house will be. 


No comments: